Broken Garage Door Springs Edmonton
The garage door is a frequently used entrance and exit point for your home. It’s natural to overlook its importance, but what if you can’t open it one morning? You’re late for work because the spring has frozen. What are your alternatives? “Can I get a new spring for my garage door?” you might wonder.
WHAT ARE GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS?
The garage door is supported by two springs, one on each side.on either side. They are what lift the door when you open it.
The weight of your garage door is evenly distributed when the door is open, which makes the motion more level.
There are two types of springs – torsion and extension. Torsion springs are wound tightly and support the door’s weight as it opens. Extension springs are not wound and extend along each side of the door as it opens.
Extension springs have been a standard part of garage doors for many years. However, torsion bar systems or “tussle” mechanisms are becoming more popular because they are easier to use and provide more safety. These systems are also less expensive than traditional designs that require lubrication under extreme weather conditions.
WHY ARE GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS SO IMPORTANT?
Without the springs, your garage door wouldn’t be able to open. The springs help to counterbalance the heavy weight of the door so that it can be easily lifted.
If one spring is broken, the door will likely be unbalanced and difficult to open. The other spring has to work harder to lift the door. It’s essential to replace both springs simultaneously so they wear evenly and don’t put too much strain on the opener.
WHAT CAUSES GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS TO BREAK?
Although garage door springs are designed to last many years, they will eventually break down. The most common cause of spring failure is rust and corrosion. Over time, the springs will become weaker and eventually snap.
Other causes of springs breaking include:
- Worn-out parts – The springs will wear out over time. This is especially true if they are not properly maintained. If you don’t regularly lubricate the springs, they will eventually dry out and break.
- Poor installation – If the springs are not installed correctly, they will be under too much tension and are more likely to break.
- Improperly balanced doors – If the garage door is not balanced correctly, the springs will have to work harder to lift the door. This can cause them to wear out prematurely.
- Springs Rust – Rust can cause the springs to weaken and eventually break.
HOW LONG DO GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS REMAIN EFFECTIVE?
The average lifespan of a garage door spring is about 10,000 cycles. A cycle is one complete opening and closing of the door. So, if you use your garage door four times daily, the springs should last approximately seven years.
However, this is just an average. The actual lifespan of your springs will depend on several factors, including:
- The quality of the springs – Higher quality springs will last longer than lower quality springs.
- How often you use your garage door – The more often you use your door, the sooner the springs will wear out.
- The weight of your door – Heavier doors place more strain on the springs and will cause them to wear out sooner.
- Lubrication – lubricating springs will help prevent rust and corrosion and extend their lifespan.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A BROKEN GARAGE DOOR SPRING?
If you suspect that one of your garage door springs is broken, there are a few signs to look for:
- The door is stuck – If the door is stuck in the open or closed position, this is a good indication that a spring is broken.
- The door is lopsided – If the door appears to be hanging crookedly, this is another sign that a spring may be broken.
- There’s a gap in the springs – If you can see a gap in the springs, this is a sure sign that they are broken.
- The door is very heavy – If the door seems unusually heavy, this could be a sign that the springs are not correctly counterbalancing the weight of the door.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAVE A BROKEN GARAGE DOOR SPRING?
If you have a broken garage door spring, it’s crucial to take action immediately. Attempting to open or close the door with a broken spring can cause further damage and is extremely dangerous.
If you’re unsure how to fix the problem, it’s best to call a professional garage door repair company like Canadian garage door repair in Edmonton. They will be able to diagnose the issue and make the necessary repairs quickly.
GARAGE DOOR SPRING REPAIR NEAR EDMONTON
If you live in the Edmonton area and you looking for garage door spring repair near you, Canadian Garage Door Repair Edmonton can help. We are a leading provider of garage door repair services in Edmonton. We have a team of experienced and certified technicians who are available 24/7 to assist you with any garage door problems you may have.
Since 2005, we have provided high-quality garage door springs repair services to homeowners and businesses in the Edmonton area. So you can rest assured that your garage door is in good hands.
For more information or to schedule a service call, contact us today!
SPRINGS SERVICE AND LIFETIME GUARANTEES.
Our long-lasting torsion springs come with Lifetime Warranties. Our experience and quality products help give you the peace that your home or business’s garage door is in good hands.
We also offer a wide variety of services to keep your garage door operating smoothly and efficiently, including:
- And more
Contact us today at 780-478-4600 to schedule a consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions and provide you with a free estimate.